Sunday, April 01, 2007

B-day approaches...

B-day. No, that's not Beyonce day. It's baby day. Birth day. Buffy is 33 weeks gone now, meaning that Quiche is going to be, um, popping out of the oven very soon. I was reading this morning about how this is going to change our relationship so that I support 'the mother' so she can care for the baby, effectively creating a hierarchy that goes something like this:

Top - Quiche
Middle - Sara
Bottom - Me

I suppose I can always lord it over the rats.

Quiche already rules the roost. Yesterday she was demanding that I sing her favourite song to her:



Actually, Bootilicious is Quiche's second fave. Her No.1 is 'I wish I was a punk rocker', which featured on BBC3's most annoying songs countdown. The top three were

1. Celine Dion 'My heart will go on' (yep, it's rubbish but reminds me of Titanic, which I loved, so it doesn't annoy me - much)
2. Crazy Frog 'Axel F' (it doesn't get much worse than this)
3. Robbie Williams 'Angels' (mainly ruined by karaoke, for which I plead guilty)

Sara says her most annoying song is Black Eyed Peas, 'Don't phunk with my heart'. I think mine is either 'Don't worry be happy' or 'Who let the dogs out', even though the latter reminds me of Hastings on a Saturday night. Oh no, hang on, it's got to be 'In the air tonight' by Phil Collins. (Some people are trying to make Phil hip by putting him in video games. It won't wash.)

What's your most annoying song? Leave a comment.

I got my Wii. It's the bestest video game console ever ever ever. It's hard to describe the weird elation you get swinging a white remote control around pretending you're playing tennis. I've had it 24 hours and am addicted. I was up till 1am playing Zelda, which is amazing even though the early stages include bizarre tasks like catching cats and rescuing monkeys.

You'll notice I've got a strip of YouTube vids on the right, using the keywords Wii, rats and Embrace. My favourite clip I've seen so far is this one, which sums up the Wii perfectly:



Seeya later, Roosters.

14 comments:

sarasizzle said...

If that girl is a Wii and the other one is a PS3 what does that make me?

If I was a games console I think i'd be a big heavy old-style gameboy. Paintedwith Tipex and coloured in with a bright pink marker pen and covered in smiley face stickers and glittery nail polish.

I want to go to Primark so better get dressed instead of sitting her doing nothing.

Love ya xxxx

Mark said...

No, you're a Wii too! But yes, a Wii that's been coloured pink with glittery bits.

Primark here we come!

Anonymous said...

Is it an April Fool's joke?

lil ol' me said...

i wouldn't agree with the lording over the rats thing - my rats are definitely higher in the pile than me.

but then there's more of them to gang up on me.

my girls enjoy playing wii :D

Mark said...

Er...is what an April Fools joke?

Anonymous said...

That you "like" THAT video! It's pretty offensive, and a perfect showcase for everything that's horrible and sexist about the gamer industry.

And yes, I say that as an overweight girl who wears glasses!!!

Liz said...

Most annoying song ever for me is a close run thing between 'Wannabe' by the Spice Girls and 'I'm not in love' by 10cc.

Mark said...

Ooh, controversy over the Wii video. Sara said it was sexist too. I said 'What's wrong with being sexy?' a la Spinal Tap.

Seriously, I do apologise. I guess I was just overexcited about my new toy.

I'm sitting here doing penance now, waiting for a rat to emerge from behind the kitchen cupboards, thinking about equality.

Anonymous said...

Hey, you don't have to do penance, Mark. It's just one of those things that irk me. I would stick up for misrepresented vegetarians too! Actually, the reason I found this video offensive was not so much the sexism, which was pretty unsophisticated, but the utter cynicism of these sorts of ads. I mean, remember the Sony PSP ads that deliberately used racism to be disruptive? It's like the ad creators thought "I wonder how many people we can insult in order to get everyone talking about our product." It's contemptuous.

Mark said...

But this ad wasn't made by Nintendo... it's a spoof of the Mac vs PC ads, made by fans.

Unless Nintendo had it made unofficially, as an effective piece of viral marketing.

sarasizzle said...

10 comments? 10? Sara Sizzle never gets 10 comments?

And now here I am making it eleven.

BAH HUMBUG.

sarasizzle said...

Oh oh oh

And I feel that I should also comment on another part of this post...

The reason Mark cites bootylicious as Qucihe's fave song is becuase a month or so ago i had a drea that Quiche, straight after birth couldn't talk but could dance and sing... and constantly sand that song.

Since then I can't get it out of my head and as a consequence she's head it quite a lot.

Also... her absolute FAVE song is 'I wish I was a punk rocker' but chnaged to 'I wish I was a Quiche rocker with Quiche's in my hair...' for some reason it makes her go REALLY crazy and 'kicky'

Other things we play a lot to Quiche:

* The Smiths
* Kayne West ('drug dealin' just to get by...')
* Pulp

But she's definately more into female vocalists. I may try her out on a little bit of Tori Amos later.

And then maybe some Hole.

haha.
xxx

Anonymous said...

Mark - I didn't realise this was supposed to be a spoof video. I had assumed it was viral marketing. I never saw the original Mac vs PC ads! Just looked them up on utube now...well, in the light of those, then maybe I can see that this wii ad is supposed to be an ironic piss-take ot the originals, i.e. playing off the idea that you can be "fun" or "serious" but never both?! I guess the wii ad might be having a laugh at that idea, well I would have to assume so if it WAS made by fans.
There's still something disturbing about it though. Maybe just that it is using stereotypes to make a point but it doesn't question the stereotypes? I mean, lots of people believe stereotypes are true, look at the comments on youtube.

Sara - I'm sure SaraSizzle will break the 10 comment barrier one day. Playing the Smiths to a baby in the womb - that's got be controversial!

Anonymous said...

My most annoying song has to be summer of 69 by bryan adams, cos people seem to think that just because i may like bon jovi a little that i automatically like this song too, but i hate it xxx