Sunday, October 15, 2006

Oh smelly carpet, oh smelly carpet...

I'm sitting here waiting for our landlady to turn up. She's going to measure the carpets (I just mistyped it as crapets and should have left it like that) so she can replace them. This is because our flat has one serious problem: it stinks. Stinks like a thousand cats have scaled the walls, slunk through the window and used the kitchen carpet like a flower bed. Buffy can't enter the kitchen without being hit by crashing waves of nausea. I'm a little hardier, but not much. So I've got up early to clean the flat and hide the rat cage.

Speaking of those-to-whom-we-pay-most-of-our-wages (is there a gender neutral word for landlord/landlady?), the Sheriff Fatman (obscure early 90s indie reference there) who rented us our last place hasn't given us the compensation he promised. And he won't respond to our emails. He is a big fat dishonest lying bastard. Does anyone know any trained armies of winged monkey assassins? Or have a one-way ticket to a North Korean nuclear testing site?

Buffy met my 3-month-old daughter, Ellie, yesterday. This was quite a big occasion and went very well. Ellie was pretty much on her best behaviour and only cried a little. Buffy didn't cry at all. I'm very happy because it means that she can accompany me to Tunbridge Wells now on Saturdays and we won't have to spend a huge chunk of our weekend apart.

I think there's something wrong with me. I quite like the new Muse single (playing on XFM right now). Help.

I am addicted to brackets (even though they make prose less elegant).

Louise and I have had a sniff of interest from an agent. I will keep you posted, but it's bound to go horribly wrong. That's not pessimism speaking; it's experience.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

DARLING WHAT ARE YOU DOING BLOGGING AT THIS RIDICULOUS TIME OF THE MORNING WHEN YOU SHOULD BE TUCKED UP AND COSY? I THOUGHT IT WAS ONLY SAD OLD TROUTS LIKE ME UP AT THIS TIME WAITING FOR THEIR DRUNKEN OFFSPRING WHO HAVE LOST KEYS!
HOPE YOU SORT OUT THE SMELLY CARPET PROBLEM AND YES THE CIRCLES THAT I MOVE IN I DO KNOW PEOPLE THAT YOU COULD SEND TO VISIT YOUR PREVIOUS LANDLORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark said...

I wasn't really up at 3.29 - my posts show American time, which I need to change. That post was really written at about 11 am.

Anonymous said...

Well lets hope your previous landlord gets his "comeupence" (brackets on - is that how you spell that word! brackets off - see we all like brackets in the famerrrleee!) Perhaps you ought to "dob" him in and write to Watchdog or put his name forward to "Landlords from Hell"!! It's good your present landlord seems more responsive to your needs.

Keep the blogs coming - I like to read all about what you young ones get up to!!